Anna Netrebko - Bellini: I Puritani (2 DVD)
Anna Netrebko enchanted audiences and critic alike when she sang her first ever Elvira at the Met, and this DVD captures all the freshness and spontaneity of her acclaimed performance. "The prolonged ovation Netrebko received after the Act II...
Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake
The classic Mariinsky (Kirov) production of the greatest of all ballets. Filmed in the imperial splendour ol the Msriinsky Theatre, St Petersburg. Starring Ulyana Lopatkina, Danila Korsuntsev and the breathtaking Mariinsky corps de ballet. Conducted by the great Russian maestro Valery Gergiev.
Odette-Odile - Ulyana Lopatkina
Prince Siegfried - Danila Korsuntsev
The Queen - Alexandra Gronskaya
Tutor - Pyotr Stasiunas
Jester - Andrei Ivanov
Rothbart - Ilya Kuznetsov
03. The Prince's Birthday Party - Waltz
04. Entrance Of The Queen
05. Pas De Trois
06. Pas D'action
07. Polonaise (Goblet Dance)
10. Entrance Of Rothbart - Entrance Of Siegfried
11. Entrance Of The Swans
12. Entrance Of Odette
13. Swans' Dance
14. "White Swan" Duet (Odette And The Prince)
15. Dance Of The Cygnets
16. Odette's Solo
17. Swans' Dance
20. The Jester's Dance
21. Waltz Of The Princesses
22. Entrance Of Odile And Rothbart
23. Spanish Dance
24. Neapolitan Dance
25. Hungarian Dance (Cserdas)
27. "Black Swan" Pas De Deux (Odile And The Prince)
30. Waltz Of The Black And White Swans (Valse Bluette)
31. Entrance Of Odette
32. Odette And Rothbart
33. Entrance Of The Prince
34. Pas De Deux (Odette And The Prince)
35. Rothbart's Death
37. Curtain Calls
38. Closing Credits...
Verdi, Daniel Oren: Nabucco
Instantly famous for the best-loved chorus in all opera — the "Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves" (Va, pensiero), Nabuccoms Verdi's first operatic triumph. In this massive and spectacular new production from the vast Roman arena in Verona, the story of love, betrayal and the lust for power in ancient Babylon is brought to life by a supreme cast of Verdians led by the great baritone Leo Nucci.
Opera In Four Acts
- Nabucco - Leo Nucci
- Ismaele - Fabio Sartori
- Zaccaria - Carlo Colombara
- Abigaille - Maria Guleghina
- Fenena - Nino Surguladze
- High Priest Of Baal - Carlo Striuli
- Abdallo - Carlo Bosi
- Anna - Patrizia Cigna...
Michele Mariotti. Gioacchino Rossini. Guillaume Tell (2 DVD)
For years the undisputed Rossini tenor par excellence, Juan Diego Florez at last makes his debut in the hugely demanding role of Arnold and "masters his part with seemingly effortless perfection" (Die Presse). "Grand, cinematic opera in widescreen and surround sound" wrote Die Welt of Graham Vick's 2013 production of Rossini's last opera, given uncut in its original French version complete with the often-omitted ballet music. The William Tell legend of patriotic and political intrigue in 14th-century Switzerland is interpreted by Vick as a timeless class conflict with dramatic and unforgettable images. A "perfect cast" is conducted with "verve and intensity" (Opera Today) by the brilliant young Italian Michele Mariotti.
DVD 1: Rossini: Guillaume Tell:
1. Rossini: Guillaume Tell - Opening Credits
3. "Quel jour serein le ciel presage!"
4. "Accours dans ma nacelle"
5. "On entend des montagnes"
6. "Pres des torrents qui grondent Contre les feux du jour Le mien, dit-il, jamais, jamais le mien!...Ou vas-tu?"
7. "Ah! Mathilde, idole de mon ame!...Sur nos tetes le soleil brille...Quel tableau!"
8. "Ciel, qui du monde es la parure...Des antiques vertus vous nous rendez l'exemple"
9. "Hymenee, ta journee fortunee luit pour nous"
10. Pas de six - Pas d'Archers et Choeur danse
11. "Gloire, honneur au fils de Tell!...Pale et tremblant, se soutenant a peine"
12. "Dieu de bonte, Dieu tout-puissant"
13. "Quelle sauvage harmonie"
14. "Ils s'eloignent enfin"
15. "Sombre foret"
16. "Ma presence pour vous est peut-etre un outrage?...Oui, vous l'arrachez a mon ame, ce secret"
17. "Doux aveu! ce tendre langage...On vient, separons-nous"
18. "Quand l'Helvetie est un champ de supplices"
19. "Ses jours qu'ils ont ose proscrire"
20. "Des profondeurs du bois immense En ces temps de malheurs...On pardonne la crainte a de si grands malheurs"
21. "Honneur aux soutiens de nos droits!"
22. "Jurons, jurons par nos dangers"
DVD 2: Rossini: Guillaume Tell:
1. "Arnold, d'ou nait ce desespoir?"
2. "Pour notre amour plus d'esperance"
3. "Gloire au pouvoir supreme!"
4. Pas de trois "Toi que l'oiseau ne suivrait pas"
5. "Audacieux, incline-toi!...C'est la cet archer redoutable"
6. "Tant d'orgueil me lasse"
7. "Ah! que ton ame se rassure...Je te benis en repandant des larmes"
8. "Sois immobile Victoire! victoire!"
9. "Quand l'orgueil les egare"
10. "Ne m'abandonne point, espoir de la vengeance!"
11. "Asile hereditaire Vengeance! Vengeance!"
12. "Amis, amis, secondez ma vengeance...Ou vas-tu? Ta douleur t'egare"
13. "Je rends a votre amour un fils digne de vous...Quoi! dans nos maux acceptant un partage"
14. "Toi, qui du faible es l'esperance"
15. "Suivez-moi! suivez-moi!"
16. "En vain il veut nous fuir"
17. Rossini: Guillaume Tell - Curtain Call & Closing Credits
18. Rossini: The Making Of William Tell - Behind The Scenes ...
U2: Achtung Baby. A Classic Album Under Review
Achtung Baby was the album that fired U2 into the 90s. Displaying a broader musical palette than before and with a newfound smattering of irony, the four-piece dramatically overhauled their traditional approach to songwriting. The so-called 'band of the 80s' were moving on. They now reflected their moods in their music, had loosened up and were taking sonic risks - and every single one paid off.
U2 Achtung Baby: A Classic Album Under Review offers a previously unobtainable level of insight into the band during the recording of their most dynamic and well respected album. Via the use of live footage, long forgotten videos and the review, criticism and insight of a panel of highly opinionated experts, this package delivers the finest documentary film yet to emerge on Dublin's favourite sons....
Tony Palmer's Film About Stravinsky
Made at the request of the Stravinsky Estate to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Stravinsky's birth, this highly-praised and award-winning film celebrates one of the most important and influential composers of the 20th century. It includes...
KISS: Meet The Press
The art of giving an interview has never eluded the band KISS! Founding members Peter Criss, Ace Frehley, Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons know how to work the media as well as the thousands of fans that show up for their stage show spectacles! KISS has had many lineup changes over the years that included Eric Carr, Vinnie Vincent, Mark St. John, Bruce Kulick and Eric Singer.
In 1996 KISS reunited the original four members that brought KISS to the forefront of rock and roll in the 1970s. KISS remains to this day one of the most marketed and exposed bands in the music and entertainment industry.
This video magazine contains press conference footage and raw footage of KISS being honored by the entertainment industry as well as rare and exclusive interviews!...
Wagner, James Levine: Die Walkure (2 DVD)
Wotan, chief of the gods, and the dwarf Alberich contend for mastery of the world. Wotan had Valhalla built by the giants Fasolt and Fafner, to be a fortress for the gods. Alberich the Nibelung forswore love - something Wotan could never have done - and thereby met a condition which earned him power and riches. From the gold out of the Rhine he had his slaves forge the Nibelung hoard, including a ring and a magic cap. These treasures were snatched from him by Wotan, who, having acquired them wrongfully, was forced in his turn to hand them over to the giants. The curse that Alberich laid on the ring drove Fafner forthwith to kill his brother; then, with the aid of the magic cap, Fafner turned himself into a dragon and now lies in a cave, watching over the hoard.
In his efforts to preserve his power against Alberich's challenges, Wotan has enmeshed himself in an ever more tangled web of compromises and obligations. He wants the ring and the hoard and needs a "free hero" who, knowing nothing of the past, and not subject to the restraints on Wotan, will be able to win them back for the god. A human woman has borne Wotan a pair of twins, Siegmund and Sieglinde, who were parted in childhood. Wholly in accordance with Wotan's plans, their destiny has been harsh.
Die Walkure: Act 1-3
Siegmund - Gary Lakes
Hunding - Kurt Moll
Wotan - James Morris
Sieglinde - Jessye Norman
Brunnhilde - Hildegard Behrens
Fricka - Christa Ludwig
Gerhilde - Pyramid Sellers
Ortlinde - Martha Thigpen
Waltraute - Joyce Castle
Schwertleite - Sondra Kelly
Helmwige - Katarinaikonomu
Siegrune - Diane Kesling
Grimgerde Wendy Hillhouse
Rossweisse - Jacalyn Bower
Conductor: James Leviime
Metropolitan Opera Orchestra...
Rossini - Le Comte Ory (2 DVD)
In spring 2011, the first-ever performances at New York's Metropolitan Opera of Rossini's Le Comte Ory brought standing ovations and critical-acclaim. The spectacular trio of Juan Diego Florez, Diana Damrau and Joyce DiDonato ignited vocal and theatrical fireworks.
Le Comte Ory tells the story of a libidinous and cunning nobleman who disguises himself first as a hermit and then as a nun ("Sister Colette in order to gain access to the virtuous Countess Adele, whose brother is away at the Crusades. The 2011 Met production was directed by the Tony Award-winning Broadway director Bartlett Sher, who in recent years has also staged Il barbiere di Siviglia and Les Contes d'Hoffman for the Met. Sher presented the action as an opera within an opera, updated the action by a few centuries and giving the costume designer, Catherine Zuber, the opportunity to create some particularly extravagant headgear. Juan Diego Florez starred as the title role while Diana Damrau plays his love interest, Countess Adele, and Joyce DiDonato was in breeches as his pageboy Isolier. The trio had appeared in Sher's production of Rossini's Il barbiere di Siviglia.
The New York Times praised "the terrific cast", citing Damrau's "lustrous, agile coloratura soprano voice, and charisma galore" and describing how DiDonato, "who sang with plush sound and impeccable passagework, sent top notes soaring and conveyed all the swagger of a smitten page."
The Financial Times named Florez, "a bel-canto paragon virtually without peer. He attacks and/or floats top tones with laughing ease, phrases with slender grace and exudes charm even when impersonating a singing nun". The Wall Street Journal said: "It was a treat to hear Mr. Florez navigate the vocal extremes of the role, popping out high C's while adopting a rascally but winning demeanor."
Conducted with verve and finesse by Rossini specialist Maurizio Benini, the production also features the stylish French baritone Stephane Degout as Ory's bibulous conspirator Raimbaud (quite a change from his previous Met role - Debussy's gentle Pelleas), charismatic Italian bass Michele Pertusi as the Count's long-suffering Tutor, and, formidable as Adele's housekeeper Ragonde, the Swedish dramatic mezzo Susanne Resmark. ...
Anna Netrebko. Live From The Salzburg Festival (3 Blu-Ray)