The culmination of a three-year Monteverdi project led by conductor William Christie and direct Pier Luigi Pizzi at Madrid's Teatro Real, L'incoronazione di Poppea brings a potent blend of sex and politics, high drama and comedy. Leading the cast are Danielle de Niese, Philippe Jaroussky, Max Emanuel Cencic and Anna Bonitatibus.
William Christi, who most recently started 2012 at New York's Metropolitan Opera, conducting The Enchanted Island, is joined by the Les Arts Florissants as he evokes a veritable orgy of nuances, subtly creates atmosphere and shows a perfect sense for the accents of the piece. It took Christie and director Pier Luigi Pizzi three years to mount Monteverdi's three operas together. The result was a production full of elegance and beauty.
Performed in a new edition of the Venetian version of the opera by the musicologist Jonathan Cable, Poppea features a starry cast. Playing the upwardly mobile temptress of the opera's title is the glamorous American soprano Danielle de Niese, who, in the words of the New York Times, is "seductive enough to woo gods as well as mortals".
In an interpretation described as "overwhelming" by El Pais, the capricious Emperor Nero (Nerone) is embodied by French countertenor Philippe Jaroussky. The brilliant Croatian countertenor Max Emanuel Cencic plays Nerone's rival for Poppea's love, Ottone, while Nerone's discarded wife Ottavia, is sung by the Italian mezzo soprano Anna Bonitatibus, described by Forumopera as "an incandescent Ottavia who vouchsafed a superb example of singing and of theatre". ...
Achtung Baby was the album that fired U2 into the 90s. Displaying a broader musical palette than before and with a newfound smattering of irony, the four-piece dramatically overhauled their traditional approach to songwriting. The so-called 'band of the 80s' were moving on. They now reflected their moods in their music, had loosened up and were taking sonic risks - and every single one paid off.
U2 Achtung Baby: A Classic Album Under Review offers a previously unobtainable level of insight into the band during the recording of their most dynamic and well respected album. Via the use of live footage, long forgotten videos and the review, criticism and insight of a panel of highly opinionated experts, this package delivers the finest documentary film yet to emerge on Dublin's favourite sons....
01. Introduction By Renee Fleming
02. Prelude And Opening Credits
Act 1 / Scena 1
03. Si, Cone Voce Che l'Etiope Ardisca
04. Se Quel Guerrier Io Rassi!
05. Quale Insolita Gioia Nel Tuo Sguardo!
06. Vieni, О Diletta, Appressati
07. Alta Cagion V'aduna
08. Su! Del Nilo Al Sacra Lido
09. Ritoma Vincitor!
10. Posscnte, Possente Ftha
11. Danza Sacra Delle Sacerdotesse (Sacred Dance Of The Priestesses)
12. Immenso Ftha... Nume, Custode E Vindice
Act 2 / Scena 1
13. Chi Niai Fra Gl'inni E I Plausi Erge Alia Gloria Il Vol 2
14. Datiza Di Piccoli Schiavi Mori (Dance Of The Young Moorish Slaves)
15. Fu La Sorte Dell'armi A' Tuoi Tuncsta, Povera Aida!
16. Su! Del Nilo Al Sacro Lido
17. Gloria All'egitto, Ad Hide
18. Marcia Triontale (Triumphal March)
19. Ballabile (Ballet)
20. Vieni, О Guerriero Vindice
21. Salvator Della Patria, Io Ti Sahito
22. Che Veggo!.. Egli?.. Mio Padre!
23. О Re: Pei Sacri Numi... Gloria All'Egitto
24. O Tu Che Sei d'Osiride Madre Immortale E Sposa
25. Qui Radames Verra!.. О Patria Mia
26. Ciel! Mio Padre!.. Rivedrai Le Foreste Imbalsamate
27. Put Ti Riveggo, Mia Dolce Aida
28. Fuggiam Gli Ardori Inospiti
29. Aida! - Tu Non M' Ami
Act 4 / Scena 1
30. L'aborrita Rivale A Me Sfuggia
31. Gia I Sacerdotj Adunami
32. Ohime!.. Morir Mi Sento!
33. Radames! Radames! Radames!
34. La Fatal Pietra Sovra Me Si Chiuse
35. Immenso Ftha... О Terra, Addio
36. Curtain Calls And Closing Credits ...